Carbon monoxide poisoning – are your customers aware?

Malcolm Farrow 430px

Oil customers should get their boiler checked annually by an OFTEC registered technician and fit a carbon monoxide detector in their home says OFTEC’s Malcolm Farrow

This year’s Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week starts next Monday. To reduce any risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, oil consumers are being urged to get their boilers checked by an OFTEC registered technician before winter sets in.

Oil heating appliances have a very good carbon monoxide safety record as highlighted by a 2012 Gas Safety Trust report which showed oil to be extremely safe for domestic use.

“Most people associate carbon monoxide poisoning with faulty gas appliances,” said OFTEC’s Malcolm Farrow. “The risk is significantly lower with oil-fired central heating but consumers should not be complacent. All fossil fuels can give off the clear, odourless gas which is responsible for more than 50 deaths and 4,000 people being admitted to A&E in the UK every year.

“To make sure a boiler is working properly, consumers should have them checked annually by an OFTEC registered technician. We also recommend homeowners install a carbon monoxide detector in their home,” added Malcolm.

The campaign runs from 18th-24th November. Check http://www.oilsave.co.uk for further information on how to minimise the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning. Oil consumers can also contact OFTEC on 0845 65 85 080 selecting option 3.

Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.